The Golden Book of Frankfurt am Main

AltFrankfurt.com
    

Search
Suche

Home

Site Map

 

Dom
Cathedral

Römer
Town Hall

Römerberg

Altstadt
Old City

Altstadt 2
Old City

Altstadt 3
Old City

Der Main
The River

Stadtteile
City Districts

 

Kirchen
Churches

Stadttürme
City Towers

 

 Goethehaus
Goethe's House

Kaiserkrönung
Coronation

Im Wandel der Zeiten 
Through the Ages

Das Goldene Buch
The Golden Book

 

Zeppelin!

Bahn
Rail

 

The Ruins of War
Kriegsruinen

 

Verschiedenes
Miscellaneous

 Stimmung
Music

Weihnachten
Christmas

Old Pages

Email
NorbiEtOrbi
Steve

 

Visitors/Besucher

Hit Counter

Frankfurt am Main
Ansichten des Römers
Views of the Roemer

Views of the Old City of Frankfurt am Main before the Wars
Ansichten der Altstadt von Frankfurt am Main.

Weitere Ansichten / More Views

romer_1880.jpg (62696 bytes)
Der Römerberg um 1880
Roemerberg around 1880


Der Römer 1863
(Carl Friedrich Mylius)

Roemer1867.jpg (45073 bytes)
Der Römer  1867

Roemer 1904
The Town Hall
"Roemer"
Das Rathaus "Römer"

1940   1940
The Roemer with the Minerva Fountain in the foreground
Der Römer im Vordergrund der Minervabrunnen
1940

Roemerp

roemer.jpg (45499 bytes)

frankfurt-roemer.jpg (48024 bytes)

Roemer - Old Town Hall
Römer - Altes Rathaus

 Weekly Market/Wochenmarkt vor dem Roemer
Weekly Market in front of the Roemer
Wochenmarkt vor dem Römer

Today it is the custom to group the three-gabled facade of the three originally independent houses Loewenstein (right), Roemer (middle) and Laderam, or Old Limpurg (left) under the single name "Roemer." The Haus Roemer itself was acquired by the city in 1405 along with some attached houses to the north (ending at the House of the Golden Swan) when the old town hall had to be razed to make room for the new cathedral tower.

It was a very distinctive thing for Frankfurt to rework these ordinary citizens' homes into a town hall, especially at a time when everywhere else municipalities were beginning to build more imposing city halls. However, the buildings suited Frankfurt's needs. The ground floor was joined through large halls that served the city's famous fairs. The first upper floor was converted into ceremonial rooms that served especially well during the elections of the emperors.

The origin of the name "Roemer" derives from the trade connections the original owner of the building had with Rome. The Laderam (Limpurg) derives from the Roman Lateran, and was the seat of the noble House of Limpurg, belonging to one of the most prominent of Frankfurt's families. Laderam was only acquired by the city in 1878. Haus Loewenstein, in the city's posession in 1596.

The facade as restored by Meckel looked a little to bare, so portico additions in wood were made toward the end of the 18th century. The little clock tower was added in 1702. The latest adornments toward the end of the 19th century that we still see today (the balcony, etc.) was considered by many of these ever practical Frankfurters, to disturb the harmony of the building.

Die unter dem Namen "Römer" zusammengefasste Drei-Giebel-Fassade besteht aus drei selbständigen Häusern: dem Haus Löwenstein (rechts), dem Römer (Mitte) und Laderam oder Alt-Limpurg (links). Das Haus "Römer" wurde 1405 durch die Stadt erworben und zusammen mit einigen angrenzenden Häusern (im Norden mit dem Haus "Goldener Schwan" endend) zum Rathaus umgebaut, nachdem das alte Rathaus dem Bau des Domturmes weichen musste. Es war sehr bezeichnend für Frankfurt, die alten Bürgerhäuser zum Rathaus umzubauen. Insbesondere in einer Zeit, in der andere Städte mit dem Bau imposanter Rathäuser wetteiferten. Aber die Gebäude boten genau das, was Frankfurt brauchte: das Untergeschoss verbunden durch große Hallen für den Messeverkehr, das erste Obergeschoss umgebaut zu Repräsentationsräumen insbesondere für die Königswahlen. 

Der Name "Römer" entstand vermutlich durch die Handelsbeziehungen eines Besitzer zur Stadt Rom. Das Haus Laderam = Alt-Limpurg war einst Sitz der adeligen Gesellschaft vom Hause Limpurg der die vornehmsten Frankfurter Familien angehörten. Es kam erst 1878 in städtischen Besitz. Das Haus Löwenstein wurde bereits 1596 von der Stadt erworben.

Die Fassade – vor der Restauration durch Meckel – wirkte ein wenig kahl, bis sie durch Holzvorbauten gegen Ende des 18. Jahrhunderts etwas belebt wurde. Das Glockentürmchen wurde 1702 errichtet. Die letzten Erweiterungen gegen Ende des 19. Jahrhunderts können wir noch heute sehen (Balkon usw.). Die immer praktisch denkenden Frankfurter haben aber damit wohl die ursprüngliche Harmonie der Gebäude ein wenig zerstört.

Views of The Town Hall
House Roemer
(2), (3), Little Courtyard, New Town Hall, Salt House, House Wanebach, Fountain of Justice

Ansichten
Haus Römer
(2), (3), Römerhöfchen, Neues Rathaus, Salzhaus, Haus Wanebach, Gerechtigkeitsbrunnen

Inside the Roemer
 Emperor's Staircase, Emperor's Hall, Elector's Chambers, Medieval Exhibition Hall, Rotunda

Inneres
 Kaisertreppe, Kaisersaal, Kurfürstenzimmer, Messhalle, Rotunde

Historic Events
Hindenburg in 1925, Kennedy 1963, Imperial Banquets, etc.

Historische Ereignisse
Hindenburg 1925, Kennedy 1963, usw.

Roemer & Roemerberg through artist's eyes

Römer & Römerberg gesehen mit den Augen von Künstlern

See also:

Auch:

Roemerberg

Römerberg

Ruins of War

Kriegsruinen

Imperial Coronation

Kaiserkrönung